Friday, October 16, 2009

Where the Wild Cylcops roam...and other bits of fun

This is a close up of some merino, tencel, and wee bit of silk that I needle felted together before I began the wet felting . This actually takes between 2-3 hours but cuts the wet felting down to about 30 min, so it depends on if you prefer having a needle in your hands or having wet hands .
I'm not a big fan of wet hands, so is worth the extra needle time .
This is the other side...flames on water or fall trees around a stream ?
I absolutely love the feel and look of this at this needle felt stage but it wouldn't be very practical as a scarf...(would work fine as a wall hanging and I may give that a try . Art for the wall that you can pet sounds liema devine idea to me . )

The back layer of this is some of the lovely Yak/merino I just purchased and it is unbelievably soft . I think it feel very similar to alpaca . The other side is a merino.tencel blend and both worked well for both the needle and wet felting stages . (I'll have to show the finished wet felting on the next sunny day...it's been a very dreary fall here ) .
Just one example of the lovly fiber being sold on Etsy by Greenwood Fiberworks . Check her out, lovely blends of color and fibers .
The above is the 12oz of Yak and merino that I purchased from Busybee Fibers . It really was great for felting...I was a bit worried that it would take longer but it worked for both the noses of the "wild cyclops"( pictured in last pics here ) and in the scarf above .
Moonlight and Laughter uses some of my favorite color blends and this merino Tencl blend is a soft as it is gorgious . She also included some milk fiber which is fantastic to touch...as soft as the silk and Tencel but with only half the shine , so a much more subtle look .
I added some of the aliens from my alien necklaces. I attached hooks so you can wear them as necklaces when you are done playing with them . I just ordered two different kinds of aliens that arrived today, so need to get busy making more playscapes for them .
The wild cyclops on the left has at least one autistic trait...toe walking . His nose is made of Yak and the rest is merino, tencil and silk .
This wild cyclops looks like he is trying to relax doing a yoga stretch . I can't recall the name of this pose but I do recall that it hurt . He seems to be smiling through the pain .
At the last minute....a head banging monkey joined in the fun and appears to be siding with my hand felted alien against the hatchet wealding alien .

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful, wacky, weird and wild.... yep that just about sums it up. Love, love, love it all. Your imagination, experimentation and results continue to entertain and inspire.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails