Monday, August 23, 2010

Horny needle felt and friends

Sometimes it surprises me how "individual" my felted friends turn out . I don't usually create them with a clear image of what I will make and the few times I have tried, it never turns out like the image I had in my mind . I hope some day that I can control the needle well enough to actually make what I had planned but I sure wouldn't want to lose the surprise I feel when I see a new weird critter emerge .
I am also still trying to learn how to use my camera with out much success . I think the animals look so much cuter in person and the photos make them look kind of flat and lifeless . I took a few with white and a few with black backgrounds and the white does seem to be better but to much light really flattens them out .
I am really enjoying using the wild mix of natural fibers , though the alpaca and BFL seem to take forever to felt in .
I have also liked the result of using a merino, silk mix on the nose and lips . I've started adding brown shading in the snout area and I think that has helped add needed definition .
....but why is this guy so darn sad ?
Well, my new fiber will be here soon, so I will have a bit more experimenting in the coming week
and may even try fiber dying if it actually stops raining and I don't lose my nerve . (I'm in dread of felting the fibers when I dye them ) .

Happy felting !

1 comment:

  1. I think your little guy is sad because he has a squirrel head and a rabbit's body... his head is just a bit too small for his legs.

    Remember that babies/little kids are cute because their eyes and their heads are bigger proportionately to their bodies than is the case with adults. So when looking for that appeal factor, you generally want that sort of proportion.

    Unfortunately, in the case of your critters, you can't have too much head for body, because that makes it harder for them to stay upright - too much weight in the head is a problem. Maybe if you had a heavier/more solid core for the body and a lighter, fluffier core for the head, so that the head stays lighter than the body, even if it is relatively large?

    I dunno. Just 'thinking out loud', so to speak...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails